Saturday 23 January 2010

Gary Player's Law - A Bit of Luck

I was loitering in Starbucks this morning innocently mopping up a cappu, when who should stroll in but one of the few MPs who doesn't necessarily view politics as a public auction of our liberties. So, after finishing what I was doing (creating a presentation on Taylor Rules -no relation - policy interest rates) I went over to give him a bit of encouragement.

(Well quite, I know what you're thinking - but the brave chap didn't flinch or cower. Rather, he humoured me, and finding I am an economist . . . . )

. . . he told me he was on a Parliamentary Treasury committee with Pope Vince Cable et al which was thinking about possible structural reforms of the City.

So if you're reading this, Mr D, always remember this: regulation rightly begins only when transparency, and thus choice, fails. Deal with the opacity, and a surprising proportion of the problems and failures are fixed . . . . by us.

Oh yes, and keep reading, because we've done most of the spadework now, and it's time to start building the new post-bank financial system.

No comments:

Post a Comment